Our Regional SHIP Counselor, Ernestine Post, will be at the Center on May 15th & 25th from 9:30am to 2:30pm.
A SHIP Counselor is a valuable and sometimes under-utilized resource for our senior community. They can:
- Provide information and answer questions about Medicare, Medicare Advantage (such as Health Maintenance Organizations) plans, Medigap plans, and long-term care insurance plans.
- Give information about and advocate for preventive health benefits paid by Medicare.
- Help beneficiaries and their families understand the Medicare prescription drugs coverage (Medicare Part D) and options available in West Virginia.
- Answer questions and help resolve concerns about medical bills, insurance claims, and Medicare summary notices.
- Meet by telephone or in person to review national and state-specific programs, including prescription drug discount programs and programs that help reduce out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- Educate beneficiaries about their rights for quality care and options for appeals of Medicare decisions.
- Educate beneficiaries about how to recognize Medicare fraud and abuse and how to report it.
- Make presentations to groups in the community about all aspects of Medicare.
WV SHIP website: http://www.wvship.org/
Ernestine will also be at these other local counties this month:
May, 10, 22 & 31 – Nicholas County – Senior Center
May, 11 & 24 – Clay County – Library
May, 14 – Gilmer County – Senior Center
May, 16 – Webster County – Elk Riverview Terrace
May, 17 & 29 – Fayette County – Senior Center
May, 18 & 30 – Lewis County – Weston Arbors